Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 47

A couple months ago, I read an article in the newspaper about the high obesity rate in Nebraska and the rate here in our county. It mentioned a name you could contact if you were interested in this topic, so I called the other day and spoke to a gal from the health dept. here in town. She invited me to attend a mtg this morning with others on the health of kids in school. The first thing I saw as I walked into the meeting room was 2 large trays of enormous cinnamon rolls!  I immediately thought the HEALTH dept could have made a better choice. And quite honestly, I’m not sure why they needed to have food at all. The mtg was at 9 o’clock in the morning. Of course, I was the ‘new kid’ so I mostly listened to what they had been working on and how they have implemented a back pack program into the schools. Sounds like a good program and they’ve had positive feedback to date. For children that qualify, backpacks of food are sent home on Fridays with food to help them to get better nutrition over the weekend. Good idea, just sad that we have children that are going hungry. It’s very difficult for me to imagine that and I need to be more aware of those issues.  Lately, I’ve been thinking about how I can become involved in the community and especially with young people. I’m not sure how I will do it, or what will come up, but I’ll keep my eyes open.


No comments:

Post a Comment