Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 80

Race for the cure… Run for the cure…. When will we look back and actually FIND the cure? Cancer has affected my family in a dramatic way. I lost my dad to lung cancer at the age of 52, I was 20 years old. My sister was 15. Katie was only 3 years old and sadly doesn’t remember him. All six grandkids grew up without Papa Pete in their lives. He would have loved watching them grow up. J My oldest brother died of cancer at the age of 50, two weeks before his daughter graduated from high school and my other brother died of cancer at the age of 53. I don’t know how my mom has found the strength to survive all she’s lost.
So many times the question is asked, “How did people in the old days deal with cancer?” The answer is, they didn’t have to. At least not like we do today. Cancer wasn’t prevalent in their world. I believe with all my heart that cancer is tied to the additives, chemicals, and preservatives that were introduced into our food source in recent history. The adage of ‘you are what you eat’ rings true. Think about it, if you eat chemicals, your body is full of chemicals. If you eat things produced in a science lab, your body has to find a way to adjust to those things. And when it can’t adjust to those things, it gets confused and things start mutating in a non natural way. People don’t think of their food choices and the consequences of those choices until there is a health issue of some kind and then many times it’s too late. The process of disease has begun and is often times very difficult, if not impossible to reverse. TIME is the biggest complaint in cooking food at home. I hear that all the time. But think about this for a minute. Years ago, people worked hard too (far more physically than today), washing clothes by hand, walking rather than driving everywhere, etc etc. And yet they found the time to cook at home. They Made the time. If they didn’t, they didn’t eat! It wasn’t a choice of “do I want to cook or do I want to go to Burger King?”  Yes, we live in a different world today. That is part of the problem! It’s not easy, but it’s not impossible either. It’s all about choices and priorities. Everyone is busy but it is possible to do. Our environment is under human control and we should be able to manipulate it in a way to optimize our health. Being careful about what and how much we eat can have a direct result in how we feel.

*Thought for the day*
Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.  ~Clifton Fadiman

No comments:

Post a Comment