Sunday, August 26, 2012


Several weeks ago, I went to supper with one of Dwight’s customers, Bob, and his wife Marsha. Dwight has known Bob for nearly 25 years so we consider him more of a friend than a customer. When it came time to order our salads, the waiter asked me if I wanted the ‘standard’ eggs, bacon, cheese and tomato on the salad. I said no, I just wanted tomatoes. When he asked what kind of dressing I wanted, I said I didn’t want any dressing, just plain. He looked at me like I’d lost my mind or I was speaking a foreign language. Marsha said, “You don’t know what you’re missing!” I thought to myself, “Oh, yes, I do know what I’m missing. That’s why I’m eating it plain; but thank you.” Of course I didn’t actually say this out loud but I did think it! Why did I feel like I needed to defend my choice of how I wanted my salad? And since when is eggs, bacon, and cheese ‘standard’ on a salad? Sounds more like a Big Mac question if you ask me!

Some people think that unless you have a food allergy or a medical condition you should simply eat what the rest of the world is eating. I disagree. It’s a choice. It’s MY choice. Just like it’s someone else’s choice to eat factory made processed foods and foods pumped full of growth hormones.

My family knows how I feel about this subject and they respect it (for the most part) but I feel like they don’t really understand it sometimes. I realize that if someone wants to feed their family REAL food it takes time and planning and a dedication to make it happen. Sadly, that is what keeps most people from doing it! That doesn’t mean that those people care any less than others about the welfare of their family. It simply means they run out of time in a day to get everything done and unfortunately our society has made fast food and processed food cheap and easily accessible! 

In a perfect world there would be no processed foods. There would be no need of fertilizers and pesticides to increase growth rate so the producers could get more money in a shorter amount of time. Everyone would be able to grow their own food. But we don’t live in the perfect world so until we do, I’m going to do my part and I’ll keep it up with the hope that the rest of America will come around to the idea. J


 ** Thought for the day **
What you eat in private ~ you wear in public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment