Friday, February 8, 2013

Sticks and Stones




I love words. I do, I love words – they move me. Take a group of words and arrange them in a pleasing order and the emotions they can provoke are endless. When I find a sentence that moves me I read it and reread it over and over. I read it silently, I read it aloud. I love how the words just roll around in my mouth when I say them. Words generate feelings. They encourage me, impact me, and comfort me.

As kids we all said, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” That’s not true. I can think of comments said to me or about me which hurt. Those words are stored in my thoughts and replayed over and over long after they were spoken. They can eat at my self esteem and they make me doubt myself. I’ve never forgotten them because words are powerful! They can cause a wound that is difficult to heal. I’ve also been on the other side of it where I said things to someone that I wish I hadn’t. Once a stone is thrown, it can’t be taken back. 

We have the power to strengthen someone’s day with our vocabulary yet so often we just don’t take the time to say that word of encouragement. Instead of being negative and using criticizing words, let’s use courteous and kind words to our spouse, our kids, our parents, our friends, our co-workers and to others that we cross paths with each day. Be conscious of what you say, the words you choose make all the difference.

Little words that mean so much:

Thank You – Everyone likes to feel appreciated.

I’m Sorry – A heartfelt apology begins healing and forgiveness.

Nice Job – It gives us a sense of pride for our efforts.

I Was Wrong – Ouch! This one is a tough one but also such an important one. The past can’t be changed but by acknowledging you were wrong makes moving forward much easier.

I Forgive You – We all mess up.

I Love You – There is nothing like knowing someone loves you unconditionally.

*Thought for the day*

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. ~ Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment