Saturday, March 22, 2014

Spring time in Nebraska - gotta love it!

























24 degrees and snowing = soup!  At our house soup is welcomed anytime but especially today. And my favorite kind of soup is when I rummage through the fridge and freezer to see what I can find and throw it all in a pot.

I started with some chicken stock, chopped up half an onion, two carrots, a potato, a bit of broccoli left over in the fridge, and a garlic clove. Behind the ice cream I found a little bit of frozen chicken (which I had completely forgotten about), corn, peas and a few herbs from last year's garden (parsley, rosemary, thyme, and basil). ** If you're old, you might be thinking of Simon and Garfunkel right now**

 Within 15 minutes I had a hearty pot of soup on the stove. As I'm stirring up this colorful pot of deliciousness there seemed to be something missing..... tomatoes!!! Thankfully we still have plenty of our canned tomatoes so I dumped a jar in. "Dumped" is a very technical culinary term you know. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment