Wednesday, October 15, 2014

POLKA DOTS



Our grandsons love to eat fish, which is really saying a lot given a couple of them are very picky eaters.

This week we’ve had two of our grandsons eat with us several times and fish is always one of the top choices for them. For lunch we made salmon, thinking our grandson B. would love it. 

He took one look at it and said, “Yuck. I want the one with polka dots on his back.” 

I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Polka dots? He’s three years old after all, so I just assumed he was trying to explain something totally different than what we were having for lunch. He, however, was having nothing to do with the pink fish on his plate and refused to touch it. Okay, fine, maybe he’s just not in the mood for fish today.

After several minutes of “explaining” to me, B. said, “You know the fish with polka dots on his back that we eat at the lake.” 

“Walleye?” I asked him.

“Yes!” he said.

I looked at my husband and asked if walleye have polka dots on their back. He just smiled and said, “I guess so.”

A couple days later we had two grandsons eat supper with us and we prepared walleye this time. We hadn’t said one thing about what type of fish we were having but when we sat the plate in front of B., he said, “Yes! The polka dot one!"  and he ate every bite.

I still don’t know if walleye have polka dots or not but according to B. they do and that’s all that matters. I think I need to see the world through a child’s eyes more often. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment