Monday, November 10, 2014

BRRRR..... BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

We've had beautiful weather here in Nebraska recently but it sounds like that is all about to change in the next 48 hours. Yesterday's high was in the low 70's, today's high is 27 and tomorrow is supposed to be even colder!!  The snappy sleety wind that is blasting outside is not helping matters.

BRRRRR..... A bit of a shock to the old body I'm afraid. Time to break out the crock pot and cook up those favorite cold weather favorites.


 Given that it is 45 degrees colder today than yesterday, I'm making cookies. Of course! I have a sneaky suspicion there are a lot of people either baking or making soup today, or both!

 These cookies are called Coffee Cookies but our grandson, B., said he doesn't like coffee so he has decided to call them 'Puppy Chow Cookies'. I have no idea where he came up with that name but that's what he calls them. (Oh to have the imagination of a child. *sigh*)

I've been making these cookies since we were first married thirty-five years ago. I don't remember where I found the recipe or if someone gave it to me. (Believe me, I can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone where I got a recipe thirty-five years ago! Makes me laugh at the absurdity of even attempting.)
 But I've only started to frost these cookies recently which was kind of just a happen-chance sort of thing but oh my goodness, it is the perfect combination!
 



If you like soft cookies, you will Love these. And fair warning........ you will not be able to eat just one, so don't even try.


Coffee Cookies *aka Puppy Chow Cookies*

2 cups brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 cup butter- melted
1 cup cold coffee
2 eggs
4 cups flour

Mix all ingredients together. 
 
Bake 8 -12 minutes @ 350 degrees.


Frosting: 

6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon maple flavoring

Mix well. 
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment