There was absolutely nothing wrong with the plants that came up this year, in fact it was gorgeous in the backyard. But nooooo...I thought I wanted to put my own spin on things - make it 'my own.'
First of all, flower beds take a lot of planning. I've been pulling out plants, moving plants to other locations and trying to visualize what will look best where. All the while just hoping that the plants I have managed to find spots for actually survive. If my new neighbors happen to look over at our house they'd see me standing in the middle of the backyard, leaning on my shovel, staring off into space.
Secondly,*Note to self* - Read up on flowers before spending all afternoon transplanting them from one location to another.
There is a spot in front of a shed that was overgrown with rose bushes and plants when we bought the house. We've torn out the rose bushes so we can now use the shed but haven't gotten rid of all the volunteer flowers. I don't even know what most of it is but I did see a lot of daisies in there and thought they'd be a great filler for spots where I've pulled out other plants in the yard. I spent one afternoon transplanting daisies and then researched later that night only to find out daisies spread like wild fire. The next day I told my sister about all the daisies I'd planted and asked her if she needed any and she said, "Oh, those can really spread. I use to have a ton of them. I pulled them all out." (oh geez.)
Needless to say, the next morning I pulled them all up from their freshly planted spots and put them in an area between the house and a cement edge where they can't conquer the world with their clumping style.