Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 4

I may be jinxing myself by saying this, but so far it hasn’t been nearly as time consuming as I thought it would be. Yes, I do have to give some thought about what I will be eating but don’t we already do that on a daily basis anyway? I’ve been trying to remember how I cooked meals when the girls were young because we rarely went out to eat and we didn’t have “fast food” much either. I do remember lots of planning. I’d make out “menus” for a few days and make out a grocery list for the needed items. And I remember knowing the night before what I would be cooking the next day. It just made it so much easier when I walked in the door at night, I knew exactly what I had to do to get supper on the table. I also remember doing lots of crock pot recipes in the winter time which I’m sure I’ll do again once the weather starts cooling off.


This morning I tried a new whole wheat muffin recipe which turned out really well. I made a variety of kinds out of one single batch. I used bananas, raisins, and orange zest so we have several kinds to test out. Jaxon – my 2 year old grandson - loved the orange zest one (which made my heart smile). I baked a whole chicken for lunch and will now have leftovers for several dishes. I love leftovers!
(I found a place nearby that raises farm fresh chickens so I’m loving that!) After watching a documentary on how chickens are “manufactured”, I vowed I’d never by another chicken at the store!

I made a quick trip into town for a few groceries this evening and found myself really noticing what everyone had in their carts. :)  I’ve also noticed that food labels and ingredients can vary greatly. Whole wheat doesn’t necessarily mean WHOLE WHEAT.  And one brand of "whole wheat" could have very different ingredients than another brand of the same thing! Seriously, why doesn’t the FDA require honest labeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment