Thursday, January 13, 2011

Challenge 2 - Day 13

This is always a special day for me. We had our first daughter on this date so every January 13th, I relive the day she was born. I think about the excitement of going into labor and then realizing at a certain point that labor hurts! I was so young and had no idea what it was to be a mommy, although it was something I had dreamed of my entire life. As we all know, there isn’t a handbook given out when you become a parent so you learn through trial and error and just hope you don’t screw up too badly along the way. She is now a strong, independent, self sufficient person who I’m very proud of and I know that I played a small part in that. As a mom, that’s enough for me. Happy Birthday Katie!
My day’s eating plan looked like this:
Breakfast – oatmeal and raisins – I have this often. It’s quick and filling and I just love the taste of it.
No mid morning snack today. My tummy was sending me messages about wanting something to snack on but my grandsons kept me busy enough to sidetrack those signals from within. J
Lunch – Small baked potato (plain) - green beans – corn (this is corn we froze straight from the field in the fall. It has such a sweet taste.)
Supper – Chicken and rice soup (without the chicken) I used broth, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, corn, peas, broccoli and leftover brown rice from yesterday.  The leftovers will be a great lunch for Jaxon tomorrow.
In an earlier post, I talked about cutting back on animal protein and animal by-products. I’d like to take a more drastic step and cut them out all together. I’ve been doing a good deal of research and reading about the “Western diet” we eat and the effects it has on our body as well as the diets of other cultures and the correlation of disease (or lack of) in those cultures. There are some pretty convincing studies that show dramatic differences in the effect of animal proteins in the diet versus diets that are plant based. This is an entirely new arena for me to be stepping into and I’m learning more and more about it each day. Some of the information I’m finding talks about “fake” meat and “fake” food so you don’t feel like you’re missing out on the real thing. I haven’t looked at any ingredient lists on those “fake” foods, but I’m guessing it is all made up in a science lab. What else could it be? After all, it’s fake! So, I won’t be eating anything ‘fake’ either. If it ever came to the point where I felt like I needed to have a hamburger, then I’m eating the meat that we raised in our pasture, not something that is suppose to ‘look’ like a hamburger.
If anyone has ever tried cutting out animal products from your diet, I’d love to hear from you!
*Thought for the day*
Everything I can’t find ….. is in a very safe place. J

No comments:

Post a Comment