Friday, January 28, 2011

Challenge 2 - Day 28

Slightly more than two weeks of no meat or animal products. What do I miss the most? Well, surprisingly it isn’t the meat. I haven’t missed meat much at all. It’s taking me a little bit to ‘rethink’ meals without meat being the main course though. That’s just something we’ve all grown up with, meat as the main part of the meal; so I have to relearn how meals look without meat being a part of them. But as far as the taste, I don’t miss it nearly as much as I had expected to. For me it’s the cheese and milk. I knew we used a lot of cheese in our house but now that I don’t eat it, I’m seeing that we use A LOT of cheese!
 I had some serious tummy issues the first week. I think it was a combination of eating differently combined with eating more beans than I’m used to. J But the tummy issues have resolved themselves and I’m doing well. Eliminating all animal based foods has some definite health benefits and for various reasons in my life, I’ve chosen a vegan way of eating. For most people, giving up beef, chicken, pork, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. seems a little strange, even a little fanatical. I have to admit, I’ve always thought people who didn’t eat meat were a little “out there”. Maybe because I get the vision of hippies walking around with flowers in their hair, living in communes. J But when I think of the benefits of eating a vegan diet, I know I’m doing the right thing for me.
 *Thought for the day*
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mom! I haven't been on here for SO long! My life is too fricken busy...anyway, I guess I was not aware that you weren't eating anything PRODUCED by animals either. I thought it was just meat! Wow! Aren't your choices really limited? I am anxious to see if you start feeling better! I will go back and read your old posts to catch up!

    ReplyDelete