Friday, May 13, 2011

Challenge 2

Day 133
Good morning all! Consuming 64 oz of water a day has now become my new friend J I’ve found myself getting excited to see each glass of water emptied. (I know, pitiful isn’t it?) This is one of my challenges that I want to continue with on a daily basis. I’ve also noticed that I’m not as hungry which is a big bonus!
I’m still concentrating on eating a vegan diet 99% of the time but I must say, the other night Dwight made steaks on the grill and oh what a temptation that was! I knew I couldn’t dare taste it or I couldn’t have stopped with one bite. When I think of eating a vegetarian or vegan diet, I think of people actually eating vegetables and also of being very ‘healthy’. Being a vegetarian doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be healthy. The more I research things and the more I talk to people, I’m finding that other people’s definition of vegetarian or vegan is vastly different than mine. I’ve found people who are technically vegetarian yet eat french fries, donuts, candy bars and Coke. For many people, the first thing they think about is not getting enough protein when eating a vegetarian diet when in fact protein can easily be found in vegetables, beans, legumes, and grains. The majority of people have a misconception about the amount of protein actually needed in your diet. Adults in the U.S need about 10% to 35% of a day’s calories from protein. That’s about 46 grams for women and 56 grams for men. It’s fairly easy to get this amount if you eat 2-3 servings of protein rich foods a day.
* a small 3 ounce piece of meat has approx 21 grams of protein. An 8 oz piece of meat could have over 50 grams of protein.
* a cup of milk has 8 grams of protein.
* a cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein.
A 3 oz piece of meat is approx the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm. If we look at the servings sizes we actually eat, I’m guessing they are often double that amount. And just think of those big juicy steaks off the grill. Yes, they are delicious but the amount of protein involved is huge! Make sure you give your body what it needs but don’t overload on the protein or make it your primary food source.

*Thought for the day*
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of house payments. J

No comments:

Post a Comment