Saturday, June 11, 2011

Our family’s “Biggest Loser” Challenge is officially underway and the competitive side of each of us is coming out quickly. J Both of my sons-in-law have lofty goals of weight they want to lose and I’m not sure they are being realistic. If they do lose it, that would be a great accomplishment for them. Of course I’ve already done some of my own calculations and I’m figuring out how much I’ll need to lose to beat their percent. Because in all honesty, I have every intention of winning this challenge! J
Challenge #7 – Keep a food journal for one week!  I think this is the perfect time to start the next challenge on my blog because I’m watching what I eat, now more than ever. And for me, it’s the perfect time of year. Farmer’s markets will be opening soon and fresh tomatoes will soon be available.  Yummmmmmm…. Can’t wait!  I always find it interesting when I hear someone say, “I don’t know why I can’t lose weight, I really don’t eat that much.” OR “I eat healthy; I don’t why I feel so crappy.” Hmmmm. I don’t think people even realize how much they eat sometimes or even what they are eating. Keeping a food journal is one way to “see” exactly what you are putting in your body. This means writing down every single thing you eat and drink. Every chip, every handful of M&Ms, every bottle of pop, every candy bar, every glass of juice. Everything! If you don’t write down every single thing, you’re only lying to yourself. If you’ve never made a food journal before, don’t get bogged down in details. Keep it simple. Jot down everything you eat and what time of day you eat it. If you want to add other details like how you are feeling, your mood, etc. that’s fine. But if you want to keep it as simple as possible, just jot down your food and the amount you ate. After a few days you may be surprised at how much and what kind of foods you are consuming. You also might see some patterns of your eating unfold. Do you find you snack more in the afternoons or late at night? Do you crave sweets right after lunch? Does your mood influence what you eat? Give it a try for a week and see what you learn about yourself.

*Thought for the day*
Lovingly and gratefully accept who you’ve been, what you’ve done, what you have and where you are. For you can now transform it all into what you most wish to be.
— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment