Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Several years ago we were part of a Christmas Open House where you decorate your home and then open it up for the public to see. At that time, I had purchased several trees along with a ton of wonderful Christmas decorations. It was beautiful but boy was it a lot of work! Well… this afternoon Dwight decided that “we” needed to decorate the house more and proceeded to get all the trees out! At first I thought’ UGHHH’, but he was so anxious to help that I decided ‘ok, let’s do this!’.  After 3 ½ hours of decorating, he thought we’d done enough for the day. Believe me, I was more than ready to stop by that point. I’m trying very hard NOT to think about taking everything back down and just enjoying all the festive decorations in our home.
Mid way through the decorating I started wondering what we’d have for supper. I knew I wasn’t going to feel like cooking once we finished so I wrapped up two sweet potatoes and put them in a hot oven while we continued decorating. We made us each a big salad with lettuce, spinach, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, red grapes, and cranberries. We topped it off with a delicious homemade dressing which really hit the spot.
As we all know, store bought salad dressings taste great but are usually full of preservatives and high in calories. Most people just pour the dressing on their salad which results in much larger serving sizes and therefore much larger calorie counts. Some are better than others but again, if you make your own you know exactly what goes in it and quite honestly it just tastes better. J
Salad Dressing
½ cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp dried minced onion
1 tsp ground mustard
Pinch of salt
1 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
Whisk all ingredients together. That’s it! We love this!
* Thought for the day*
Our language is funny~ ‘fat chance’ and ‘slim chance’ mean the same thing. ~
J Gustav White

No comments:

Post a Comment