Sunday, April 22, 2012

As most of you know, I keep our grandsons – ages almost 4 and 1 ½ while our daughter and our son-in-law work. As you also know, feeding two little boys can be a real challenge sometimes; especially if it’s important to offer them some healthy choices. I try to offer them meat free options as much as possible simply because I think cutting back on the amount of meat that’s in our daily diet is important.

Today for lunch we had tacos. I used store bought taco shells, canned black beans (rinsed and drained before using), refried beans, lettuce, cheese (NOT pre shredded), and tomatoes. We topped off the taco with our homemade salsa which made it taste wonderful! We also had brown rice topped with salsa. Surprisingly store bought taco shells have very few ingredients. There are only three ingredients in the beans (beans, water, salt) but I like to rinse the beans before using them to help rinse off some of the salt that is used when canning. I always buy block cheese and shred it myself which only takes a minute and the pre shredded cheeses are packed with preservatives and are more expensive as well.

I had intended to take pictures of Jaxon’s taco he assembled himself, but it didn’t happen. About the time I went to get the camera, he decided he couldn’t wait because he was ‘so hungry’. Braylon woke up from his nap right about then and I just decided I’d have to wait until next time to get a picture. Both boys devoured their lunch so the tacos were a big hit!

About an hour later, my hubby returned from a business trip and called and said he was going to Subway to grab a sandwich before heading home. I told him we had leftover tacos (meatless) if he wanted that. He is very much a meat eater so I could hear a little pause in the conversation before he agreed to pass up a Subway. As he was making his plate he said, “I can’t believe I’m eating a taco without meat.” You’d think I was asking him to eat some bizarre food you might find on the crazy food challenges on television. It’s a taco for goodness sake! :) After eating his lunch he had to admit that it “wasn’t too bad” but he still liked meat in it. That counts as a victory in my book. :)

*thought for the day*
“There's no limit to how much you'll know, depending how far beyond zebra you go.”
Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment