Saturday, April 14, 2012

I’ve been away from my blog FAR too long! I have good intentions of writing but simply haven’t made it a priority lately. As far as my second 100 day challenge goes, I’m nowhere near being as committed as I need to be to make it worthy of calling it a true challenge. For now, I’m calling it off and hoping that I’ll find that commitment again one day and then I’ll try it again. That doesn’t mean that I’ve given up on REAL food though! It just simply means I’m not doing the 100 day challenge right now. I’ll continue to eat as much REAL food as possible.

This morning I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some carrots before going to my daughter’s house – keep in mind this was at 7:45 AM! As always, I notice what other people are buying as I’m checking out (especially at this time of the morning). Sadly, I wasn’t surprised when I saw the lady in front of me drinking a large pop and buying some junk food as well as more pop to go along with it. It still amazes me how many people drink pop first thing in the morning. While I was waiting in line I noticed a large sign next to the Copenhagen chewing tobacco that said, “Warning – may cause cancer.” I immediately thought, “Why aren’t there signs like this next to foods that are filled with preservatives and additives and are filled with known carcinogens?” Maybe it’s because nearly all the grocery aisles would be FULL of warning signs and that would freak out the consumers and people would actually start eating food that’s healthy. And that would throw the food industry into a spiral and there would be all sorts of political turmoil (as if there isn’t enough political turmoil). A little turmoil in the food industry might be exactly what consumers need; after all that’s how changes come about. If consumers keep buying bagels that have 48+ ingredients (literally – Sara Lee blueberry bagels) or any of the other thousands of foods filled with preservatives and additives then the food companies are going to keep producing them because they are profiting from it. If we as consumers STOP buying those products there won’t be a demand for them. A little turmoil might be exactly what is needed.

* Thought for the day*
Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment