Saturday, June 16, 2012


FARMER’S MARKET

I am finally home on a Saturday morning and I made it into town to the farmer’s market!! Yeah!  I love the farmer’s market. I love browsing at all the wonderful fresh produce people bring as well as the pies, breads, jellies, and crafts. Isn’t it funny how the sight or smell or taste of a food can bring memories flooding back in? Today we found mulberry jam at the farmer’s market and we knew we wanted to try it. The jam reminds me of the mulberry tree we had on the farm growing up. My little sister and I would climb that tree and eat mulberries until we were almost sick. Our hands, our knees and our shoes were purple all summer long. It was wonderful. We also found kohlrabi which is one of my favorite vegetables ever!  We only bought two of them which was silly on our part because I’ll have them both gone by tomorrow. My grandma used to grow kohlrabi in her garden and she would slice it up for me and we’d sit on the old metal swing out behind the house and eat it. Wow, where did that memory come from? J I’m definitely going to try to find kohlrabi next year and add it to our own garden spot.    

We also found a peach pie, radishes and Oh, and we bought fresh chickens, yes, REAL farm fresh chickens! You know, the kind that actually get to go outside and wander around the farm and eat bugs and dig in the dirt and sleep in a chicken house. A far cry from the store bought chickens that are raised in factory farms, pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones, and crammed into such a small spaces that their bones can’t develop naturally. Yeah, not a pretty thought is it? So needless to say it was a very productive trip to our local farmer’s market. Anxious to see what treasures I find the next time I visit it.

*Thought for the day*       
At the age of twenty, we don't care what the world thinks of us; at thirty, we worry about what it is thinking of us; at forty, we discover that it wasn't thinking of us at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment