Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Good morning everyone! How are your gardens doing? If you live anywhere near me, I hope they are surviving the seriously crazy winds we’re having. I realize we have a lot of wind in this area, but this is a little much even for us. We (and by we I mean my husband) have expanded our garden spot slightly this year so we have a really nice sized garden. This year our garden consists of 17 tomato plants, 19 pepper plants (jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, habanera peppers), onions, dill, spaghetti squash, zucchini squash, gourds, pumpkins, and rhubarb. My hubby does all the planting and tending which is fine by me. He’s a bit particular about his vegetables so I just stay out of the way. After years of planting gardens he’s gotten it down to a science. I have to admit, it looks really nice. We’re having a little problem with a ‘critter’ eating a few of our plants. We’ve replanted cucumbers a couple times and that little pest is burrowing underground and eating the roots. Hubby turns into Elmer Fudd when he’s after varmints. J
This year we thought it would be fun to let two of our grandsons help us plant the garden. Papa had all the plants laid out on the ground in the exact spots he wanted them planted. Sounded like a good plan at the time. He would dig a hole, plant a plant and move on to the next one. But a 3 year old and a 11/2 year old don’t really see gardens the same way Papa does. Jaxon was just happy to be in the dirt and didn’t really care he was stepping on pepper plants and each time Papa planted something he would turn around and see that Braylon had just pulled it back out of the ground and was handing it back to him. It was pretty cute to watch, but Papa didn’t think it was such a good idea to have so much extra help, so the boys and I decided we’d go ride the 4-wheeler instead. Ha!
I also planted basil, cilantro, oregano, and rosemary in pots on the front porch. Every morning when I water them I just have to lean down and smell the herbs. I LOVE the scent of rosemary. It makes me think of our homemade dressing I make at Thanksgiving. Everything tastes better when it’s grown in your own garden!! J
*Thought for the day*                            
There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments ~ Janet Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment