Sunday, March 2, 2014

Dean





When I saw this picture I instantly went back to my childhood. If I didn't know better, this could be my school bus taking me the 14 miles to school each and every day. The grain bins in the background instantly place me on the stretch of road between my house and our bus driver's, Dean, house.

Dean was and is one of the sweetest, kindest men I will ever know. You see Dean lived just four miles from our house which meant that I was the first one on the bus in the morning and the last one off the bus at night. That also meant that my time riding over the bumpy roads of Nebraska was long. I remember many many nights that I would fall asleep in the seat before I reached our house and I remember Dean gently nudging me, telling me I was finally home and I could wake up now. I also remember so many times when I would sit on the front seat right behind Dean's driver seat and we would sing at the top of our lungs, just he and I. The long large mirror on his visor would allow me to see the corners of his eyes wrinkle with delight as we would giggle and enjoy the miles together. What a special time that was for me. As much as I enjoyed those times as a child, I had no idea how truly wonderful these times were until I was much older. More than forty five years later, I sing many of those same songs with my grandchildren and I always, always, think of Dean when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment