Thursday, July 10, 2014

Who Really Uses Rhubarb?

I do! I do!
CHOP AND DICE, CHOP AND DICE, 20 CUPS OF RHUBARB IN THIS BATCH!


Oh how I love rhubarb - rhubarb crisp, rhubarb pie, rhubarb muffins, rhubarb sauce over ice cream...the possibilities are endless! Something else I love about rhubarb - it's easy to grow! It doesn't need much attention other than some good soil and water and it provides you with the most amazing ingredient for a variety of recipes. And rhubarb doesn't need weeding! How can you not love a plant that doesn't need weeding?

I make a lot of rhubarb crisp during the summer because it is so quick and simple to put together. I've made it for so many years, I tend to 'wing it' more often than not but it always turns out great. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to warm rhubarb crisp and you've found yourself a little piece of heaven. :)


CRISP

* 8 cups rhubarb, diced into small pieces (approx.)
* 3 TBSP flour
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 TBSP sugar
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
*1/4 cup raisins
* pinch of salt

Topping:
* 1 1/4 cup flour
* 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 2 sticks cold butter - pea size pieces
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
* 2 TBSP cold water

Spray your baking dish with cooking spray. Mix the diced rhubarb with other ingredients and pour into baking dish.

Mix the topping ingredients together until crumbly and put on top of rhubarb mixture.

*  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approx 25 minutes in an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.

( I wish I had a picture of the finished product but it doesn't last long at our house. I'll try to get one next time.)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment