Saturday, September 20, 2014

APPLE CRISP





*sigh* Oh how I love Fall…

 That pretty much sums it up. I'm one of the many Fall lovers in the world. When the summer heat finally gives us a reprieve every now and then, I know that those crisp cool days are edging closer and closer. 



I love all things Fall - pumpkins, changing leaves, earth toned colors, the chilly mornings, a cup of hot tea outside while bundled in a blanket. And cinnamon - I always associate cinnamon with Fall. And candy corn. why is it that I don't eat candy corn all year long? 

At our house Fall also means soup, chili and cornbread. Hmmmm.... come on colder temperatures!

A couple years ago we planted three apple trees, 1-delicious, 1-granny, and 1-golden delicious. (I like sweet apples where my husband likes them so sour it makes me pucker just watching him eat his!)
This year we had several delicious apples on our tree and we were delighted. Most people don't get excited about a few silly apples, but us, we were excited!
 
A lady in town advertised an abundance of apples on her tree so we gathered a 5 gallon bucket and set off for home! I wanted to bring home a truck load but hubby thought five gallons was a good start. :)
*I recently had shoulder surgery so I'm a bit limited right now... hence the reason hubby stopped at a five gallon bucket. ha!*

Here is a favorite Apple Crisp recipe

8 cups apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. sugar
pinch of salt
*Mix these four ingredients together.

Topping:
1/2 cup dry oatmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
6 TBSP cold butter
*Combine until mixture becomes coarse crumbs.

Pour first four ingredients into a greased 8" baking dish.
Sprinkle the Topping mixture over the apples.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.

Yummy with a little vanilla ice cream :) 
 


   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment