Thursday, October 1, 2015

Relish Recipe

I'm canning.
You're canning.
This time of year lots of us are canning.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, I love garden produce! 





The garden is producing nearly faster than I can keep up with. If I miss one day of picking, the cucumbers seem to double in size! 
I ended up with an enormous amount of cucumbers after my last trip to the garden and many of them had gotten really large. Those are the kind I use to make relish. 


 The relish recipe I use is from a sweet lady, Dixie Christensen, who I'd known my entire life.  Dixie had given this recipe to my mom many years ago and my mom shared the recipe with me. 


If food is love, then passing on recipes is a way to share the love right? 



                        
                     Dill Relish

 8 pounds cucumbers - seeded and chopped
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 tsp tumeric
1 quart water
1 lb onions 
1/3 cup sugar (I didn't use this much)
1 large red pepper
1 large green bell pepper
2 TBSP dill seed or 1/2 cup chopped dill weed

Place chopped cucumbers  in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and tumeric. Pour water over the cucumbers. Let stand for 2 hours.

Drain cucumbers - rinse and drain again.

Combine cucumbers, onions, sugar, dill and vinegar in large kettle. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. 
Place hot relish mixture into jars. Process in water bath for 10 minutes.















No comments:

Post a Comment