Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Challenge 2 - Day 75

I am developing a whole new respect for people who swim!! That is one tough workout. I don’t claim to be a swimmer. I’m a dog-paddler at best. I can do the side stroke and that’s about the extent of my swimming abilities. But for the last couple of weeks I’ve been going to the Rec Center and walking laps in the pool and I have to say I’m enjoying being back into some sort of ‘routine’. I still miss running and I will always miss what running did for me – physically and mentally. But at least I’m doing Something! This morning I used a paddle board and just kicked, thinking “how hard can that be”. Well… let me tell ya, it’s hard! Geez, I was breathing hard in one lap! And I wasn’t moving fast either. I guess that will be my goal – to be able to do more than 1 lap without gasping for air. J  Once I get my shoulder repaired and rehabbed I really would like to try to improve my swimming skills. I can see how it would really be a great part of a workout program.
The last few days I’ve been thinking --- thinking about lots of stuff – food related and non food related. A few days ago my cousin had a stroke. He is 63 years old and is incredibly fit and active. He eats right, he exercises, he has a physically challenging job and he is the picture of good health. So how does someone that is “doing everything right” end up having a stroke? Good question. The doctors did tell him that he was very lucky that he DID take such good care of himself or the outcome would have been very different. I’ve come to the conclusion that eating right, getting exercise, making good choices, and making your health a priority, isn’t a guarantee that you won’t have some type of medical problem but it can guarantee you that your body will be in a much better position to recover from it! For me, that’s enough of a reason to continue to eat REAL food.
*Thought for the day*  
If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money cannot buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment