Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bit by bit I find myself discarding items from my closet that fall into the categories of  ‘no longer fit’, ‘I promised myself I’d wear it “someday”’, “couldn’t pass up the sale”, and “what was I thinking when I bought that?” Last night I decided I was going to do a thorough run down of all the clothes in my closet and be brutally honest with myself in deciding if it went in the “Keep” pile, or the “Have a garage sale” pile. After nearly an hour, I emerged from my closet with two large trash bags of clothes, shoes, and even some jewelry that are perfectly good but I simply don’t use for various reasons and somehow I feel a little lighter and more organized. I found myself standing at the doorway of my closet and breathing a deep sigh of accomplishment.
Aside from making my closet space look tidier, decluttering is actually a good exercise for my mind. It can be an analogy of life in general I suppose. So many times we find ourselves in a relationship, a job, or a situation where we feel strangled or restricted by the extra “stuff” that accompanies it and we need to dig down deep and do some decluttering so we can see new possibilities – make room for something fresh to come into our life.  

*We don’t need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants. Not wanting something is as good as possessing it.” - Donald Horban

No comments:

Post a Comment