Saturday, November 5, 2011

Here We Go - The Challenges Are Back !!

As I said before I am in need of a serious kick in the butt to get myself on track of eating REAL food! I'll be the first to admit I've been lax recently. I'm still choosing not to eat meat or other animal products 99% of the time which is something I can see as being a lifelong habit for me. Other than the occasional craving for a grilled hamburger i do pretty well without meat. :)  But it is definitely time to get my mind back in the right place about the food I choose to fuel myself. So its time to begin the challenges once again! If you followed the challenges the first time, this will be a repeat for you. If this is your first time joining in on the challenges then I wish you the very best of luck! It's only for 1 week. You can do this!

Week 1 : Nov 6th - Nov 12th -  No More Than 5 Ingredients
For one week avoid all packaged foods that contain more than 5 ingredients. The more ingredients a food has the more processed it is. You will need to read labels carefully and I guarantee you will be surprised at how many ingredients are in some of your everyday favorites. I know I am. Just because a product has a "Healthy" label doesn't mean it is!! Keep in mind when you make your own recipes that have more than 5 ingredients that's ok; as long as your recipes have good ingredients.

Here's a short list of some foods that might help you get started:
*All fresh fruits and vegetables
*Dried fruits, nuts, and seeds
*Applesauce
*Brown Rice
*Beans, Peas, Lentils
*Oatmeal
*Cheese - watch ingredients
*Whole wheat pasta
*Olives
*Garlic
*Peanut butter - watch ingredients
*Mini wheat cereal
*Honey
*Pure maple syrup
*Triscuits - good snack

Here is a sample of a day's meals
Breakfast Oatmeal with raisins with a sprinkle of brown sugar
AM Snack Apple slices with peanut butter
Lunch Bean burrito loaded with lettuce, tomato, onion
PM Snack Carrot sticks with hummus
Supper Veggie Pizza

Good Luck!! Let's give this challenge a REAL effort! :)

*Thought for the day*

If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny. ~ Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment