Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I’ve been a bit AWOL since the holiday but I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Along with an overabundance of food, our family shared in some together time and lots of laughter. Like many, I had lots of leftovers and I always ask the question, “What are we going to do with all this turkey?” J
*Turkey and dumplings*
*Turkey chili*
*Turkey wraps*
*Turkey enchiladas*
*Freeze it for later*
The ‘freezing it’ option is always nice; when you’re in a pinch or rushed for time you can grab it and your meal comes together much quicker.
Whether you want to eat a different salad for 365 days, or you try 52 new foods a year (one a week), or you simply want to increase the amount of fruits you eat, you’re being more aware of what you are eating and that’s what it’s all about for me. Do I ever eat things that don’t follow my ‘rules’? Yes. Do I give in to the chocolate monster calling my name? Yes. Do I ever eat hot dogs? That one would be NO! Remember what they are made of? Gross.  My point is that we need to be very aware of what we are eating and what the effect of those foods full of preservatives and chemicals are doing to us.
Did anyone happen to catch the quick news follow up about the arsenic found in juice? That’s right, I said arsenic! The FDA chairman says, “We continue to think that apple juice is generally safe based on the fact that the vast majority of samples are very low”. Generally safe? I need to hear it IS safe, not generally safe.  Just over a week ago, the FDA announced the results of its own testing of apple juice -- most of which is produced in the U.S. The agency found that 8 samples out of 160 had arsenic levels that exceeded their own "level of concern" for total arsenic. Now 8 out of 160 doesn’t sound like much but what if you’re child or grandchild is drinking from one of the 8? It’s not just apple juice either. If you look at the ingredients of many juices, they contain large amounts of apple juice as well. Juice is yet another thing that is thought of as ‘safe’ for our kids and yet we can’t trust the FDA to monitor the amounts of arsenic in juice. It’s our job to stay informed and be aware what we eat AND drink.
*thought for the day*
I mean, seriously, we are a culture that can stand in front of a microwave with a burrito in it and scream 'FASTER!'" — Ross Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment