Thursday, January 26, 2012

On August 26th, 2010, I began a 100 Day Challenge of eating ‘REAL’ food; meaning food that is in its most natural state. I gave myself 3 ‘rules’ to follow which helped guide me on this journey.
1. Eat food that has 5 ingredients or less – store bought foods
2. Eat foods that your great grandmother would recognize as food.
3. Do Not eat anything that has an ingredient that a 3rd grader couldn’t pronounce.
 As you may recall I actually made it 99 days as I was traveling and found finding ‘real’ food at an airport can be difficult! Since that time I’ve continued with many of the same ‘rules’ as well as doing various challenges along the way but I haven’t been 100% on board so I’ve decided that it’s time to do a second 100 Day Challenge.  As of right now, there are several of us that are going to attempt this challenge and I’m hoping by the time it starts, (February 13th!), that even more of you will join in!
Just to verify things, I consider almost anything homemade to be REAL food. That being said, if a recipe is made with a can of cream of mushroom soup (or any other processed food) it does NOT qualify as “REAL” food. Obviously, one of the most important things about food you create in your own kitchen is that you control the ingredients so you know there are no added preservatives and chemicals. All ingredients you use to make your homemade recipes should follow the 3 ‘rules’. As I said before, I still read labels very carefully but I know I’ve been lax in areas. I’ve been doing a lot of internet searching as well as going through my recipe binder to review recipes for the second challenge. I’m hoping to share my weekly menu once I begin and hopefully that will help you stay on track or give you some ideas for your own REAL food journey.

VEGGIE CASSEROLE
1 Tbsp Butter
1 small onion - chopped small
1 cup milk – (almond, whole, whatever you choose to use)
2 eggs – whisked
2 cups broccoli, cooked or frozen – chopped small
1 cup corn
2 cups brown rice – cooked
1 cup cheddar cheese – grated
1. Preheat oven to 350.   2. Heat butter in skillet and cook onions for 3-5 minutes until soft.   3. Whisk eggs and milk together.  4. Add onion, broccoli, corn, rice and cheese.   5. Pour into 9x9 greased casserole dishes.                  6.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.
*thought for the day*
 How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?





No comments:

Post a Comment