Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tomato Salad on Grilled Bruschetta

Whenever I try a new recipe I make myself little ‘notes’ on it so the next time I use it, I’ll remember what our reaction was. Well, with this recipe my notes say “LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS!” I guess that sums it up pretty well. J In this case however, I didn’t need notes to remember how good it was. I remember very clearly that we went on and on about how wonderful it tasted.
2 lbs heirloom tomatoes, diced (use any variety that isn’t very juicy)
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 TBSP red wine vinegar
¼ cup plus 2 TBSP olive oil
½ cup packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste         
4  - ½ inch thick slices of ciabatta bread (or any ‘harder’ bread)
Feta cheese (optional)
1. Mix tomatoes, onion, garlic, vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, and the basil in a medium bowl and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
2. Heat a grill pan (or a grill) on high. Grill the bread on each side until slightly charred, about 30 seconds per side. Remove from grill and brush the tops with remaining 2 TBSP of olive oil. Mound the bread with tomato mixture and some juices and serve immediately. Sprinkle with feta cheese if using.  
*Thought for the day*
If you can overlook it when those you love take it out on you when through no fault of yours something goes wrong… then you’re probably the family dog. J

No comments:

Post a Comment