Sunday, December 2, 2012


Although our weather doesn’t feel like it, December has arrived which means the Christmas season will be here before you know it!
I have one gift left to buy and I will be officially DONE with Christmas shopping! Wooo Hooo!  I’ll admit, I did 95% of my shopping online again this year. I almost went shopping the day after Thanksgiving but thankfully I came back to my senses before I did. J I don’t like to deal with large crowds, let alone the crazy mobs of people who are looking for the bargains on Black Friday! I did look through the fliers in the newspaper and honestly, I just didn’t find anything I felt was a wonderful bargain. I decided I’d rather sit down if front of my computer and finish up that way. I didn’t realize that a lot of the bargains offered at the stores are also offered on line so I did get a couple ‘deals’ that way. I know, you’re probably thinking that I must be living in the Ice Age, not knowing that I could get the same deals online as in the stores, but sadly, it’s true. Hey, I can send emails, text, and blog. That’s about as much technology as I need.

For most people, the holidays are a special time filled with memories and traditions. I love traditions. All kinds of traditions. My favorite childhood memories include the tradition of my Grandma Otie making popcorn balls each December. As a kid, I didn’t think about it, but she must have made a million of those darn things. We could count on finding a bowl of them in the back room throughout the month of December and well into the New Year. I have the recipe for them and I’ve made them a few times, but somehow they just don’t taste like Grandma Otie’s did.

Another tradition we always did with my mom was making soft butterscotch taffy. We’d make this huge batch and everyone would get their hands in it and we’d pull and pull and pull until that beautiful light tan color started to appear. I remember my sister and I would hold it up and let it ‘droop’ between us and then we’d scoop it up just a split second before it hit the floor. That nearly gave my mom a heart attack which made it all the more fun for us girls. J  One year we got started late and we all fell asleep while the taffy was cooking. By the time one of us woke up it was way past the ‘soft’ stage but it made the best tasting hard candy I’ve ever had. We haven’t made that taffy for ages now; we might have to try it again this year. J My mom would enjoy that.

Whether your traditions include decorating cookies together, midnight church services, singing carols, or making homemade ornaments, I pray each of you make wonderful memories as the month of December unfolds.

*thought for the day*                                                         

How did it get so late so soon? It’s night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon? ~ Dr. Seuss

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment