Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday's Thankfulness



When I think of things I’m thankful for, most are things that are visible to the eye. Yet if I were blind would I be thankful for the same things?

Helen Keller said, “I who am blind can give one hint to those who see: Use your eyes as if tomorrow you would be stricken blind. And the same method can be applied to the other senses. Hear the music of voices, the song of a bird, the mighty strains of an orchestra, as if you would be stricken deaf tomorrow. Touch each object as if tomorrow your tactile sense would fail. Smell the perfume of flowers, taste with relish each morsel, as if tomorrow you could never smell and taste again. Make the most of every sense; glory in the beauty of the world in all the facets of pleasure reveals to you through the several means of contact which Nature provides. But of all the senses, I am sure that sight is the most delightful.” 

If I had only 5 days to see, this is what I’d choose to notice. On day one I would look into the face of a new baby. I’d sit quietly and marvel at the beauty of this fascinating creation. On day two I’d get up early to see the sunrise. I’d marvel at God’s work in nature and finish my day with a glorious sunset.  On day three I’d sit in an old hot truck and watch the combine make its way through the golden wheat field. I’d be covered in wheat dust and chew on the grain until it became gum. On day four I’d memorize the faces of loved ones and friends. I’d commit to memory the laugh lines around my husband’s eyes. I’d cherish the sight of pudgy toddler hands. On day five I’d sit on the beach with my feet buried in the cool sand. I’d watch the waves slap the shore and wonder where they go once they’ve reached the edge.

For today, I am very thankful.             

   

No comments:

Post a Comment